Now, on to the subject of this post. I recently decided to dabble more in customizing my dolls. I usually avoid such ventures because I’m a perfectionist with tendencies toward OCD, and mistakes (which are inevitable) make the whole experience nerve-wracking. Kudos to those of you who regularly repaint, reroot, and flock your dolls. I tip my hat to you.
I have to say though that of all the customizations I’ve considered, flocking is probably the easiest and least stressful. There are plenty of tutorials online. Mistakes are easy to correct. And the change is always dramatic. The best advice I received was to take my time. You will find a great tutorial at this link if you need one: How to flock your doll
Here is Desi with her new do. I bought Desi (Dynamite Girl workshop doll) earlier this year after I fell in love with her face. I ordered a wig for her, but found I liked her better without lots of hair. I love dolls with short hair. I’d wear my own hair shorter if my husband wasn’t always reminding me that he prefers it long. And with a face this pretty, she can totally pull off a super short do. I decided to look for flocking in the same shade that her scalp was painted. I found some on restoredoll.com. The shade I bought is called Coco. Since there was no hair to remove, creating Desi’s new do was a simple task. I love how it turned out. Her hair line is a smidge uneven in this pic, but I have since corrected it. :)
Here’s a before shot in case you don’t remember how she looked when I bought her.
The next transformation was actually my first. I practiced on this doll since she was much less expensive. I wasn’t crazy about the combination of pink hair and red lipstick on my LA Girl Fashionista, so I sent her off to Cyano Reroots for a partial reroot. I thought black would make an edgy alternative, but then the black hair made her blonde flocking look off to my eye. I removed her factory flocking and replaced it with black. I rooted her eye lashes during one of our doll club meetings when Georgia Girl gave an eye lash workshop. I couldn’t find a small enough stud for a lip piercing, so she got a nose ring instead. I somehow messed up her lashes on one side when I was repositioning her nose ring. I’m debating removing her head to reroot that side…ugh! Did I already mention my OCD? She’s getting tattoos before the week is out.
And last but not least, check out Victor’s fresh new cut. I tried to cope with his unfortunate factory hair, but I finally couldn’t take it anymore. Plus, now he looks more like Judah (the character from Vita Plastica’s blog) that sparked my obsession with finding and owning this doll in the first place. I sent Dani an email asking for tips before I started. She was kind enough to respond with some helpful pointers. This guy was the hardest to do, because I had to remove his rooted hair, which was a Herculean task. Okay, maybe not that bad, but I have very little patience for that sort of thing. He’s had two thin coats of flocking. One more should do the trick. Looks like he's putting the moves on the new gal. More on that later ;)
Two curvy doll posts coming up...this week, hopefully. See you soon.